Obligatory Unspecific Details About Myself Section

My photo
I'm 34. I have one husband, one tiny human, one giant dog, a crazy group of friends, and a whole lotta time on my hands.

Monday, January 2, 2017

The Garden of Eden (Edumb)

Hey Burger Roulette fans! We are back to our normally scheduled programming, i.e. it's just Husband and I this week. We hope you all had wonderful holidays!

Ketchup on the blog here: The First Ten, 11, 12. Don't forget that you can subscribe to the blog at the left, and it will e-mail you each time I post.

This week, Husband and I drew the burger from our bowl of burgers and I excitedly flipped through the book.

Wait, apples and onions and what is a sweet sauce?
This is a face full of NO.

You might be able to tell that I am not looking forward to this particular burger. I'm a person who doesn't really enjoy fruit and the like on savory things... I don't like apples or strawberries in my salads, lemon chicken is a no for me. This burger has caused fear to swell. 

This burger is beef, lightly cooked green apples, a sweet sauce which consists of plain yogurt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and maple syrup, and caramelized onions (I would eat cardboard if you put caramelized onions on top so this could be a good thing). This is going to go one of two ways either we will hate it and end up with pizza for dinner, or it will turn out that it's actually pretty good and I will have to sit here with the knowledge that this is a flavor combination I've been missing out on for 33 years (unlikely). I have learned that sometimes things I think I hate, when combined correctly I actually really like. 

I slow cooked the onions in a crock pot for several hours and then

Sweet, deliciousness.

While Husband busied himself with the burger patties, I sliced up our green apple. I'm not much of a green apple fan in general, I prefer a nice honeycrisp, but okay. 

Star!

Once the apples were sliced, I whipped up the sweet sauce. Plain yogurt, a pinch of cinnamon, a dash of nutmeg and ginger, a drizzle of maple syrup all mixed up. I used an extra apple slice to taste test the sauce and found them to be compatible with one another. 

Next up, we put them together. 

Mine
Husbands

They don't look bad. Let me be brave.

Husband: When I was first told about the ingredient list for this burger I was quite worried. I am not sure I would voluntarily make this burger again, but I did give it a 7, if anything, it was quite unique, a little strange and pretty good.

7/10

Me: So I need you to take a minute, imagine an apple pie, hot and fresh from the oven. Can you imagine the taste of the tart apples which have been cooked until soft, the delicious cinnamon and nutmeg flavor that dances across your palate? Can you taste it? Are you drooling? Great! Now put that piping hot slice of apple pie on top of an all beef patty. 

It was edible, but absolutely not my style. I actually gave this three different ratings.

Overall 4/10       
Just apples, onions and burger 6/10    Just onions and burger  9/10

I got through about half, which is when I hit the lump of sauce and started peeling stuff off. Way more than the two bite minimum. I would absolutely not ever order this burger, nor will I voluntarily make it again. One other side note is that I thought the addition of a really sharp cheddar cheese might have made this burger better.


Our family members who got hoodwinked into doing this last week should thank us. This burger would not have gone over well, I suspect.

Tune in next week when we hopefully get a better burger, until then, Keep Sizzlin'.

L xo








No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments/Questions: