Standard reminders: If you'd like to Ketchup on the blog, there is a permanent link to the left. You may follow the blog via e-mail and also contact me via various social media also off to the left. Feel free to leave comments, like or + any of the posts. We love hearing from everyone! ⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦
This week's burger promises to be kind of awesome. It's basically French onion soup in burger form. It's beef, mixed with French onion soup mix, cooked and topped with my favorite thing EVER caramelized onions, which are currently caramelizing in the baby Crock-pot as we speak! On top of the onions goes some shredded Gruyère, or in our case Jarlsberg because we live in Podunk, Nowhere. We foolishly believed we'd be able to locate Gruyère at our local market, rather than schlep all the way to our favorite Kroger. We were wrong. We are sad. So I suppose this burger is more We're Here, We Were Gruyère But Are Now Jarlsberg, Get Used To It. The internet informs us that they are 'similar' enough.
![]() |
| Mining for cheeeeese |
I know what you're thinking. L, that sounds so good. What's the catch? Well, for me the catch lies in two places:
1. Optional but recommended sweet pickles (which if you've been following along you know that a. I LOATHE and b. Husband makes us try the 'optional but recommended' options if they are easily available. Sweet pickles are much easier to locate than Gruyère...I have sweet pickles in my fridge because no one eats them. Argh.
2. The buns are meant to be cut, the cut side placed down into a plate full of au jus and left to soak for a short time. The buns are then toasted and the burgers are built. I'm concerned here only because I'm not a fan of soggy buns and I fear that this one will be.
Husband and I are just thankful that there is no fruit out of context on this burger.
Let's get on with this burger:
![]() |
| Mine |
![]() |
| Husband |
![]() |
| We're gruyère |
Our thoughts:
Husband: Very tasty burger. Onions and gruyère cheese is great. The French onion soup mix gave plenty of flavor to the meat. The au jus on the bun was an interesting touch. We put the buns under the broiler to firm them after dipping. I don't understand the sweet pickles, they don't seem to add anything.
9/10
Me: The flavor of this burger is top 3 of my favorites. It had the nice sweet caramelized onions, the creamy cheese, the French onion soup mix made the meat caramelize in the pan and made it super flavorful and tender. I was at best eh about the pickles. I didn't think they added anything, and had then been cut smaller and spread out they maybe would have been better. The only downside to this was the bun. I get what they were going for, but I after about three bites it was so soggy that I couldn't continue. I peeled the burger, cheese and onions away from the bun and ate that.
8.5/10 (would have been a solid 9.5 but for the bun and the pickles.)
Catch us next week, or later this week when we have some special guests coming. I know I've promised and not delivered guests before, but I'm PRETTY sure these two are actually coming. Until then...Keep Sizzlin'.
L xo
PS: Gatsby liked his mini-burger minus onions but did not enjoy the sweet pickles either. Ha!
![]() |
| Can I have one too, please? |






No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments/Questions: