Obligatory Unspecific Details About Myself Section

My photo
I'm 34. I have one husband, one tiny human, one giant dog, a crazy group of friends, and a whole lotta time on my hands.

Monday, October 9, 2017

Girls Just Wanna Have Fennel

Hello.

We're back into the swing of things now. Our first burger back from a two week break was pretty banging. Then we get to this week's burger. Befuddlement is a GREAT word for what I felt while reading the ingredients. Total. Befuddlement.

Remember that you can click to Ketchup on our previous burgers. It's a rollercoaster of a read. Feel free to contact us via the social media that I post this on, or by e-mail, snail mail or text...if you're cool enough to have the digits. You can also comment, like, +, favorite, thumb up or however you express your delight. We love hearing from everyone.

On to the burger,

Cyndi seems totally into burger night. 

The befuddlement started early this week. We're throwing a curve ball in straight away. It's beef. Sort of. Well, it's beef, in addition to, baaaaaa lamb. (Dad will get to use his hours of  lamb puns again, I'm sure he's delighted.) So it's beef and lamb. You lightly mix the two together, then you add finely diced green apple. What the...?

You top this beef/lamb/apple burger with fennel/celery/green cabbage slaw.The fennel was interesting, we had to do a little searching to find a bulb of fennel, but we did find it. So that is cut up, the celery is cut and then you put them into cold lemon water to keep them crisp. You then grate the cabbage, reserving a few leafs to act as lettuce (I don't care if it's cabbage it's still acting as a lettuce and there is no need for that.), the grated cabbage gets in the lemon water with the fennel and celery. 

Next up, you make the condiment. Combine mayo, sugar (whyyyyy), apple cider vinegar, mint leaves (again...whyyyyyyy), and dill in a large bowl. Okay. You drain the cabbage, fennel, celery from the lemon water, mix it with the mayo, sugar, vinegar, mint and dill dressing and put it in the fridge to cool it's heels for a bit before putting it on the burger.

The burger goes as such: bottom bun, cabbage leaf (I see you, you lettuce-cabbage monster), beef/lamb burger, fennel/celery slaw, top bun. 

There are a few things about this that I have objections to. I'm okay with the lamb, the beef will help hold it together a bit. The apple is a bit of a no, followed in short order by mixing fennel, sugar, mayo, mint and dill and putting it all on the same apple/beef/lamb burger. So, what I'm trying to say is basically...no. Just no. On the upside, once it's over, I will never have to eat it again if I don't want to. And if it's good, well... lolololol wouldn't that be HILARIOUS? Send help.

As per the recipes instructions, I went ahead and mixed up the slaw. The smell of it was not great. I made this face:

Yeah...no


It looks innocuous but...

On to the burger:

Mine


Husband's

Our thoughts: 

Husband: Let's start with the aroma, and it is strange! Mint, bam! Celery, bam! The apple is hiding in there some where. I can just taste the fennel, not as strong as I expected. It's strange, extra point for uniqueness.

8/10

Me: I took a big breath (which wasn't a great idea considering the smell which was sort of akin to Christmas being pickled and then peed on) and took my first two bites. I found the cabbage leaf unwieldy, perhaps half a leaf would have worked better, although it did prevent the slaw juice from sopping the bun into mush. The burger itself was great, the apple was hidden, but added a little texture to the beef and lamb. The fennel and celery were fresh, the dressing creamy. But, at some point you get smacked in the face with the dill and subsequently with the mint. It's like toothpaste and while I enjoy mint, peppermint being a favorite flavor of mine, I just can not. I find it discombobulating. 

6.5/10 

Gatsby captured my feelings perfectly:

Ya...that's just about right, G.

Although, he was happy to hear that he was getting a full lamb burger. (He isn't spoiled.)

Lamb? For me? Yay!



Tune in next week my lovlies, for something hopefully not quite so........ minty fresh. Until then...Keep Sizzlin'!

L xo

PS: The prep for this burger took ages, which also didn't help me like it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments/Questions: