Obligatory Unspecific Details About Myself Section

My photo
I'm 34. I have one husband, one tiny human, one giant dog, a crazy group of friends, and a whole lotta time on my hands.

Monday, August 28, 2017

Parsnips-Vous Francais

Hello!

We have guests to torture this week. But first:

Ketchup on our past posts here: Ketchup, mustard, mayo, tomato, zucchini, avocado, papaya, lamb. Never know. Feel free to give us a shout out on any of the social media connected to the blog, where I post these burgers each week. We love hearing from people so comment, like, e-mail, snail mail, smoke signal, raven, owl, +, thumbs up, heart to your heart's content.

I mentioned that we have guests this week, and we do! Our favorite victims...uh friends...Tommy, Kenzie and their tiny human Aiden are coming by to attempt this challenge with us. Kenzie hates onions, I have assured her there are no onions, but I didn't bother to tell her what was actually in it, which miiiight be worse.




It starts out perfectly normal. Beef sliders. Topped with blue cheese aioli, which is blue cheese melted with mayo. The burger is placed on a 'slider bun' made by cutting up a baguette into appropriately sized 'buns' and spread with a layer of Dijon mustard. So when it's built it's Dijon mustard, slider, blue cheese aioli. There were also meant to be alfalfa sprouts (shockingly I'm almost okay with those usually), however, the store we went to was literally completely out of them. Not a sprout in sight. So, ours won't have that.

Now, I bet you're wondering what the catch is. Well, pull up a chair because here it comes. You may have noticed the name of the burger, which it turns out is not part of the burger at all. PARSNIP. I love parsnip. When I heard we were making fries out of them, I was all in. Then I read what we were covering them with and now I'm out.

We are cutting our lovely parsnips into fries, tossing them in olive oil, lovingly sprinkling herbes de Provence on them, and dried lavender. *crickets* *microphone squeak* *uncomfortable clearing of throat* *panic!*

Lavender? Lavender? LAVENDER? I don't even like the smell of lavender. Everyone is all 'it helps you sleep' and I'm all 'it gives me the worst headache ever!' Now, it's not about smelling it, but consuming it. Hopefully, it will turn out that lavender, herbes de Provence on parsnips is like the bees knees, and I will eat my words along with the parsnip lavender fries. But, my friends...hopefully doth butter no parsnips (joke credit to Joe Lycett who is a hilarious British comedian that I love). Pray for us.

The burger/parsnip fries:




Our thoughts:

Aiden (toddler, plain burger w/ranch dressing (do not ask)):

So articulate 😝

Kenzie: The parsnip fries were a little much for me. Lavender wasn't needed and something that looks like a potato but tastes like a carrot is just mean. 🙁
The burger was surprisingly good. Patty had good flavor. Sauce (editor's note: I think she means the blue cheese aioli) was meh. Overall a pretty satisfying bite.

7/10

Tommy: The burger had really good flavor, but seemed a bit one-dimensional. Some toppings would have round it out nicely. Parsnip 'fries' were very nice!

8/10

Husband: A fun combination with parsnips and burger, but the parsnips stand out much more than the burger, which was alright, but not fantastic.

8/10

Me: I really liked this burger. The Dijon mustard and the blue cheese aioli worked really well together, you could add some bacon or some caramelized onions (sorry Kenzie) and it would really be a knock out. That being said, the parsnip 'fries' were okay, until you got a super hit of the lavender, then it was just a mouthful of granny (no offense to granny's). Lavender is just really strong, and floral is not my bag. I would have preferred a nice salt and pepper or even a rosemary, but the lavender tasted how imagine it would taste if you licked your grandmother (I don't know your life, but I wouldn't recommend this as a method of affection showing). 
 I give the fries a 4 and the burger a 9 which means

7/10

That being said, this table is the sign of a fun time that was had:


Join us next week. Hopefully, lavender will not be invited to the party. Until then...Keep Sizzlin!

L xo




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments/Questions: