Obligatory Unspecific Details About Myself Section

My photo
I'm 34. I have one husband, one tiny human, one giant dog, a crazy group of friends, and a whole lotta time on my hands.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Beets Of Burden


We're back! Did you miss us? Husband and I had a wonderful trip back to our hometown for the 4th of July and last Sunday we also celebrated our 12th anniversary. Yay us!


Double Yay


Some housekeeping: As usual, you can view my social media by checking over to the left. You can also sign up for the e-mail list, and find the Master Post which has all the burgers we've done so far. 

⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦

However, if you are on a mobile device (cell phone, tablet etc) you will need to scroll to the end of the post and click to view WEB VERSION to see that. So it's down, click and then it'll be on the left. 

⇩⇩⇩⇩⇩⇩⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦

Normally, I write a bit about the burger before we make the burger, but I was side-tracked today and didn't, so we're just going to skip over that part and get right to the BURGER!

This burger was a list of ingredients that I couldn't even fathom working together, but there they were. It started out simple enough, with an all-beef patty. Then it called for cabbage (we used purple) carrots, a red onion (which they are more purple than red but sure), tomato sauce, dill, sour cream and of course...a beet. A beet? A beet? Really?

We started out by preparing the vegetables. Now, the recipe suggested grating but then it said we could just put it all in the food processor so that's what we did. First, we washed and peeled the beets, then peeled the carrots, the onions were peeled next and the cabbage was cut into a smaller chunk. 


The onions and carrots were going to be cooked together so we diced the onions in the processor, then switched out the bowl and disc and grated the carrot. Once the carrots had left the bool we grated the beet (which looks suspiciously like we murdered someone) and then grated the cabbage. 

Onion and carrot




Beets (by Dre) and cabbage

Then it was all cooked up and a few tablespoons of tomato sauce were added. Now, I will fully admit that I have no idea what the purpose of tomato sauce is. It didn't thicken the mixture, which was already thick, nor did it thin it. It maybe made it stick together a bit, it definitely made it more red (hello crime scene!) but it...in my opinion...after tasting it in it's various stages, didn't add ANYTHING to the dish.

All cooked up and delicious? Murdery? 

Once the slaw was on it's way, Husband got started on the burgers. Plain beef, which was then mixed with fresh chopped dill, salt and pepper and cooked. 

Burgers complete, slaw complete...we're ready to build.

Bottom Bun. Dilly Burger. Beet Slaw. Dollop of Sour Cream. Top Bun.

As I was cooking the slaw, I turned to Husband and said, 'Oh this also gets sour cream on top.' You would have thought that I punched him in the face. He couldn't have been more disappointed, as he hates sour cream. So, I guess we were in similar frames of mind when we entered into this burger.

Burgers!

Mine:

Oh....



My.

Our thoughts:

Husband: With all of the prep work that went into this burger, it was a bit underwhelming. It didn't taste bad but it needed something else to take it the rest of the way there.

7/10


Me: First of all, look at those things. That red is eye-popping. So colorful and lovely. The dill in the burger was really nice and I recommend giving that a try! The slaw was.... it was sweet, but there wasn't much flavor, it maybe needed more onion. It was just sort of odd, however, the sour cream made it a little better. I rate it BARELY

7/10

Tune in next week and until then...Keep Sizzlin'.

PS: Check out our Beet (BEAST) of Burden:


That looks yummy. 

L xo



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments/Questions: