Just wanted to post and let you know that there will not be a Burger Roulette this week. We talked about it and just decided to enjoy the weekend without fear of what was in store for us.
Lest you think that I am a slacker, I would like to say that I did perform a sort of cooking challenge this week. I've been obsessed with The Great British Bake Off (Bake Show in the States) for a while now. On one of the episodes they made something called a Schichttorte, which is a 20 layer German cake. Each layer of this cake is baked individually under the oven broiler. You spoon in batter (which you weigh first), spread it and put it in the oven. You repeat this process 20 times.
My birthday was on Thursday, so I decided to put myself to a baking challenge and make this cake. It turned out pretty well for a first attempt. I wish I had cooked the layers a little longer, and I wish that the layers were more even, but really this just makes me want to try it again. I mean...I bought a new pan and several ingredients specifically for this cake, so it wouldn't hurt to try it again. Anyway, it turned out pretty good and I'm pretty proud of myself.
![]() |
| I couldn't draw a straight line if there was a gun to my head. |
![]() |
| Pre-glaze, this is what it looked like. |
![]() |
| Look at those layers. Look at that chocolate. Yum. |
I had a great birthday, thank you to all of those that wished me well!
Tomorrow, here in the States, we celebrate something called Memorial Day. It marks the unofficial start of summer, but so much more importantly than that, it is a day to remember those military men and women who have died protecting our country.
Several years ago, Husband and I were living in Arlington, VA and on Memorial Day we, without really knowing what was going on, decided to make the trek to Arlington National cemetery. We lived a subway stop away from there, and I visited frequently during our six month stay, as it was relatively quiet and peaceful there. Memorial Day at Arlington is like nothing I've ever seen before, rows and rows of white headstones mixed with the red, white and blue flags is a powerful sight. Also, we had the opportunity to hear President Bush speak, as he was there to lay a wreath. On Memorial Day, it is important to remember the servicepeople's sacrifice. The image of white tombstones and flags is something burned into my memory.
![]() |
| A picture from our Memorial Day visit. |
If you're in a charitable mood, you can surf on over to THE USO and make a donation. The USO helps men and women currently serving in the armed forces stay in contact with their family throughout their service to the nation.
Tune in next week for a pretty exciting burger, we've already drawn it. Well exciting for Husband, less so for me...until then... Keep Sizzlin'. (Or use sunscreen to avoid sizzling)
L xo





No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments/Questions: