Obligatory Unspecific Details About Myself Section

My photo
I'm 34. I have one husband, one tiny human, one giant dog, a crazy group of friends, and a whole lotta time on my hands.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Do The Brussel

Hello y'all!

With memories of last weeks onion-y deliciousness in my mind, we are embarking on our 30th burger. Which is...weird. It's not fruit out of context weird, but it's weird.

First up, if you hustle on over to the left, you will see the link to sign up for e-mails. You will also see links to my various social media. Feel free to like, comment or + our posts, we love hearing from everyone!

⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦⇦


Do the hustle!



On to this weeks burger. This burger is your basic burger, beef with salt and pepper. The toppings are sort of un-burger like. It starts off with bacon. Bacon is totally normal (although not a favorite burger topping of mine). After the bacon is cooked, you take the bacon out and toss in...thinly sliced Brussels sprouts. So, okay. I suppose the easiest way to get people to eat Brussels sprouts is to you know...cook them in bacon grease. Here's where it gets dicey. (pun very much intended). Once the sprouts start to brown up, you toss in.......... Roughly. Chopped. Pistachios. How is this a thing? But also, yes? 

I love pistachios. I love the idea that the pistachios will add a crunch to the burger, and a fun texture. I hope that actually happens. So it's bun, burger, bacon, Brussels sprouts and pistachio mixture, a dollop of sour cream (husband LOATHES sour cream) and the top bun. So...the ingredients of this burger suggest green leaf lettuce, but the 'Build Your Burger' section doesn't mention it. I'm hoping I can convince Husband to skip it...but I feel it's unlikely.

Bacon and beef? Meat sure is neat!

So, it turns out that I sort of accidentally won the lettuce battle. Here's where it gets complicated. I wrote the above paragraphs yesterday (I like to get a jump start on my posts) and we went grocery shopping today. Yesterday I had every intension of 'accidentally forgetting' to buy the lettuce. It's dishonest, I know, but 30 burgers in and I've never once found that lettuce added much of anything to our burgers. Anyway, this morning when we went to the grocery store we actually forgot the lettuce. Like, it just never came up. It was probably a mind-block thing. Alas, there was no lettuce.

Also, one minor tweak. Rather than drape bacon over the burger, we cut the bacon up to cook it and then sprinkled it on top of the burger. I personally think this method not only gets the bacon more crispy (which I like) but it also gets more bacon yardage on the burger without resulting in bacon coming out of the burger and slapping you across the face.

Burger Time!
Husbands
Mine


Our thoughts:

Husband: We have kicked up the strangeness this week. Pistachios, Brussels sprouts, bacon and sour cream....and....strangely this works. Everything compliments each other. Nice crunch, good flavor.

9/10

Me: There is nothing on this burger that I have a deep, irrational hatred off. I'm not much of a Brussels sprout eater, but I have nothing against them personally. I enjoy bacon, just usually not on a burger (as typically it's not cooked until crunchy before being put on the burger. DOWN WITH WHIBBLY BACON!). I could not love pistachios more. Like...I keep a jar of shelled pistachios in the pantry to snack on, I really love them. 

For me this burger was... meh. The bacon was crunchy (well done Husband, it's almost as if he knows me). The sprouts were actually not that offensive, if there was an ingredient to make me do a spit take, it would have been this. The pistachios...I think they got lost a little there. It wasn't offensive, in fact...I think it was maybe a little boring. Boring but edible. The weirdness wasn't weird enough to surprise me, and the flavor wasn't good enough to wow me. 

6/10



If it's any consolation, Gatsby got his own little burger, with a tiny bit of the sprout/pistachio mix and he couldn't have been happier.

Can I have some too please? 




With the holiday weekend coming up (Memorial Day for us US people) I'm not 100% sure that we will do a post next week, so keep a look out! Until next time...Keep Sizzlin!

L xo




1 comment:

Comments/Questions: