Obligatory Unspecific Details About Myself Section

My photo
I'm 34. I have one husband, one tiny human, one giant dog, a crazy group of friends, and a whole lotta time on my hands.

Monday, October 31, 2016

Jack O'Lentil Burger

Happy Halloween, ya'll. We decided to celebrate by cooking up the Jack O'Lentil Buger in our game of Burger Roulette this week.

Ketchup here with burgers 1, 2, 3, 4.

As I write this, we are watching Hocus Pocus, which is the perfect way to pre-game for trick or treating with my godson and his older brother later. But, first...dinner must be had.

There was a minor adjustment in the game this week, as rather than drawing a random burger, we chose this one weeks ago and labeled it specifically for this week. Jack O'Lentil seemed appropriate here.

This burger had a lentil mix including: garlic, onions, serrano chiles, green peppers, honey, ginger and celery. It wasn't nearly as spicy as you would think. The burger was built as such: bottom bun, chevré cheese, baby spinach, burger and then the lentil mixture.

The words goat and cheese, when put together, used to cause a great fear in the depths of my soul, I was not a very brave child and I grew up into a not very brave adult. Several years ago while at a dinner auction I was served a salad with feta cheese on it, feta is of course, goat cheese. Husband declared that it would be inappropriate to pick it off so I put on my big girl panties and ate it. I did not die, I was surprised by this. Husband was tentative about telling me what the chevré cheese was, as the reason we choose the burgers last minute (typically) is so I have far less time to freak myself out about whatever is in it. I took it like a champ.

Jack O'Lentil
Open (look how colorful!)
Closed and ready to be eaten.
Our thoughts:

Husband: Subtle flavors of ginger, a little heat from the serrano peppers, cooled by the goat cheese. Before this burger I would never have put goat cheese on a burger. Creamy and tasty, it would be good on almost any burger.

        8/10

Me: For me, the idea of ginger and honey in something was a turn off, but the heat from the peppers really did need something to calm it down. The lentils, which I thought would give the burger a weird texture, didn't, which was good. The burger itself was perfectly good, expertly cooked by my husband, but the best part for me was the cheese. I know, I'm surprised too. Totally surprised. Knock me over with a feather. The cheese made it all salty and creamy and foamy...is that a thing? It was and it was delicious. Once again, I found myself picking off the lettuce item, in this case spinach, despite the fact that I love spinach and regularly eat spinach salads. I just don't care for lettuce things on burgers. I took my requisite two bites and scraped it off. Popeye, I ain't. Over all, it was edible, but not anything mind blowing. Texas Chainsaw Massacurd is still the one to beat for me, and in hindsight, I maybe should have rated that one higher.

7/10

I hope that everyone is enjoying the blog. If you are, feel free to comment on it, would love to hear from you.

Have a happy halloween may you all run: 




Who doesn't love the Sanderson Sisters!
Until next week, which may well bring more horrors than this Halloween Burger Roulette: Keep Sizzlin'.

L xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments/Questions: